I am currently researching many curricula options and also enlisting the help of her current teachers to assist me with finding a good fit for her. I have made many notes and am starting to figure out what I *think* we may do. LOTS of ideas, all sort of nebulous at the moment, of how and what it will all look like. Taking my time, pondering, asking questions, listening, mulling over, asking more questions, using my resources, etc. This is where I am right now and I am glad I have so much time to think about things.
We have started doing "homeschool religion" and she loves it! I bought a book from a recommended company and although it is great information, I feel like it is dry and a bit above her head. Even for a bright, perceptive girl like mine. Was also going to follow a free curriculum I found online and bought the suggested books, which I am glad I have, but that isn't going according to "plan" either (I found another one that I will order for next year). The 2 children's bibles are great, but maybe for next year, too. Right now she prefers to read out of her adventure bible, which is more like a story and less like a "lecture." I think that is okay! And she is really into reading about the lives of the saints, which I think is very cool. We are "supposed" to do 2 saints per week, but she just wants a story out of the bible and to hear more about the saints. I tell her these are today's true superheroes - not the characters she sees or hears about! Anyway, I guess this is a good lesson for me as an intro to homeschooling. That it may not go as it is "supposed" to, or by the exact plan, but as long as she is excited about it and wanting to learn, then ultimately it is successful. I can see how my desire to have a child-led approach is going to conflict with my idea of "how things should go" due to my controlling personality. Hey, awareness is the first step, right?
So glad I have this time to experiment and research. I am building a network of people who are so knowledgeable, and I love having my "go-to" people! She and I are preparing with the homeschool religion and I am figuring out what works, what I like, what she likes, etc. Over the break, we plan on baking, making candles, doing crafts and just having fun! We have also been going on girl dates on the weekend when the baby naps and daddy is home, and it has been really great for our relationship. I think after the baby, and all the care that having a new little one requires, she was really missing the one-on-one time with her mommy. This is all good. And the more and more that I think about homeschooling next year, the more excited I get, which I think is a really good sign!
No comments:
Post a Comment