Monday, October 22, 2012

What I am thinking...

My daughter is currently in Kindergarten, and at the end of this year, will have completed a full Montessori Children's House.  I absolutely LOVE the Montessori method and philosophy, namely the respect for and following the child, and also the use of concrete manipulatives which move toward abstract concepts.  However, I am also drawn to the magic and well-roundedness of the Waldorf method as well.  Their use of fairy tales and imagination, while engaging other aspects of the child (head, heart, hands) really appeals to me as well.  I particularly like that children get a musical base (recorder) and learn to do handwork (knitting, etc). 

At first glance I think the two methods appear to be contradictory.  Maria Montessori was very emphatic that children do not need fantasy, that reality actually frees them from their fantasies and satisfies a deep hunger for knowledge of real things.  Waldorf truly embraces that play is the work of the child, and that by delving into a rich inner life and imagination, you are laying the foundations for other education.  However, I think the two can really bring a richness and a balance.  How this will look for us, I don't know.  I am still pondering what I want our homeschool to look like.

Space is a consideration for us, as our house doesn't really lend itself to a specific school area.  I could repurpose a room if I knew we would be in this location for the entire school year, but since we are military and up for orders next year, it is sort of a crap shoot.  And, although I have read a multitude of books and seen the works of the Montessori Method, I do not in any way, shape, or form feel comfortable doing a strictly Montessori approach.  So, I have been obsessing over researching other curricula.  Thank goodness for Facebook groups and having knowledgeable friends who homeschool!  But my brain has been on overdrive and I am very overwhelmed!  I really want to figure out what I want to start with so I can have the whole spring to look over materials and pick and choose what will work for us.  I need to do my own homework!

I have been looking at using a boxed curriculum to start, especially since this is my first year.  I am leaning toward Moving Beyond the Page due to its literature base and the use of manipulatives.  Need to supplement with a phonics and a math.  For that I am torn between Right Start Math (expensive) and Miquon (not so much).  Phonics-wise, I am looking at Waldorf-y stuff.  My girlfriend is selling her barely used Montessori equipment and has a bunch of language and math-related works, so I am really considering (based on cost) of also supplementing with Montessori as my daughter is already familiar with that.  I could go crazy, but also don't want to break the bank!

We are Catholic, so I will use a religion course from Seton Home Study.  Adding in a bunch of reading, field trips, her other activities (dance and gymnastics), and some social time and I think we will call it an education!  So even with a prepackaged curriculum, I am still using an eclectic approach, and ultimately aim to follow her lead. 

These are my thoughts so far.  I don't want to get crazy and be a total nut job over this, but I really want her to be well-rounded.  My daughter is a very bright, enthusiastic, curious, and perceptive child.  I hope to foster all of these and encourage her continued growth and development without stifling her with my lack of ability, preparation, or patience (I have a background in education, but teaching nursing students - not children)!  This is why I'd like to have an idea so I can start at least reading and preparing minimally for now.

I am excited (and a little scared) about this journey, but ultimately feel a peace in my heart about it.  I truly think this is my next step, and my calling from God, but that doesn't mean it is easy.  I will answer the call, and pray everyday for the grace to be able to fulfill my obligation to both my daughter and Him.  And, for those who are along for the ride, I will check in for inspiration and guidance!

No comments:

Post a Comment