Well, after our crazy busy loooooong weekend, and requisite loooooong recovery period, we took the weekend off and began Roots & Wings Academy today.
How was our first day of homeschool you ask? Well, I had 2 whiny children and I had a lot of "other" stuff on my to-do list. (No not ideal and certainly not planned, but stuff that had to be done nonetheless.) It led me to question my sanity in this decision many times. It started off great (and "on track"), and then went downhill from there. Thankfully, after a mini-meltdown, we got it together and had a nice afternoon. Emily kept asking me, "Is this what it is going to be like?" I have no idea what she is expecting and I don't think she does either. This looming "HOMESCHOOL" cloud is over her, and in reality, it looks just like her normal life but we add in activities and she doesn't go to another place for school. Oliver is at a challenging age, so I need to be proactive in the fall with his activities and allow him to "help" us when he can.
Overall a good learning experience for me, not the hearts and flowers I wanted, but lessons that need to be done, and ones that will probably be had over and over and over again. I worry I am too controlling and my standards are too high, but I need to be gentle with her and myself. Flexibility will be key, and not being afraid to take a "time out" if needed. Other great points in this article, that kept coming into my head at multiple points during the day.
And we will try again tomorrow. It isn't perfect, but it is ours. We will get there, wherever that is. We took the first step, it is only the beginning and we will grow with each other. Just, in the meantime, keep us in your prayers!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment